R&D Toolmaker - Molder
The R&D Toolmaker-Molder position is a creative, multi-disciplined tool maker and molder able to design, build, repair, and modify high-quality injection mold tooling from complex parts and molds in a fast-paced, medical device R&D environment. The R&D Toolmaker-Molder innovates and contributes to novel mold designs & approaches in a hands-on role as part of the R&D Tooling & Molding group. This position will also be responsible for processing molds once built Therefore a background in thermoplastic injection molding is desired and real-world experience in medical device molding would be a great asset.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Provide support tool designs & participates in design for manufacturing (DFM).
- Suggests part design, mold design, and/or process modifications to drive innovation & improvements.
- Makes tools from start to finish (incl. outside purchase of bases, cavity sets, etc. as needed) via CNC machining, EDM, and other standard & non-standard techniques.
- Manages tool assembly & disassembly.
- Operates, cleans, and maintains all molds & tool making equipment.
- Tests & suggests new tool making equipment.
- Trains and guides assigned helpers as needed when repairing or maintaining Molds.
- Drives kick-off meetings to improve knowledge of Mold design and mold build techniques.
- Plans and schedules jobs to meet quoted hours and delivery dates
- Prepares needed prints and instructions to coordinate helpers as needed.
- Clearly communicates and explains the most efficient method of manufacture to others.
- Completes paperwork or instructions for additional details to be performed for mold assembly.
- Assesses completed jobs for improvements with necessary personnel for future efficiency
- Additional duties and responsibilities driven by the R&D Tooling & Molding group leader.
Education or Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent experience & some formal machine shop training with 2-4 years of related work experience OR
- AA or Technical Trade degree with 1-2 years of related work experience
- Hands-on experience, knowledge, and skills of plastic injection molds and mold making practices
Knowledge and Skills:
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Good time management skills, able to manage multiple projects in parallel
- Computer skills, for inter-office email and job communication
- CNC programming skills [MasterCAM preferred]
- CAD software skills [SolidWorks preferred]
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Attention to detail and pride in your work
- Work cooperatively with fellow employees in a team environment
- Use geometry, trigonometry, shop mathematics and calculator proficiently
- Ability to set up a mold and establish a stabile process.
- Willingness to take direction & be a true utility player; a key contributor to the Cepheid team.
- A mechanical aptitude and an ability to work in a fast-paced changing environment.
- The ability to accept failure, keep a positive attitude and not take yourself too seriously will make the job easier and more rewarding.
- Ideal engineering/physicals background
For more than forty years, Richmar Associates has connected talented job seekers with Silicon Valley businesses from start-ups to Fortune 500. We specialize in the temporary and direct placement services business. Based in the Silicon Valley, Richmar offers staffing solutions that include temporary, temp-to-hire, payroll service, vendor management and direct placement services to clients in the High-Tech Industry.
Richmar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.