Research and Development Biomedical Engineer
A biomedical manufacturing company in Sunnyvale, CA is seeking a Research and Development Biomedical Engineer to support the Innovation Core & Research projects through the planning, execution, analysis, and reporting of prototype builds and laboratory experiments. In this hands-on, bench-level role you will work with the Innovation, Engineering, Systems Integration, and other inter-disciplinary groups to support experiments on various prototype assay, consumable, and instrument components/systems for early-stage in vitro diagnostic R&D activities. The ideal candidate has an engineering background with experience working in biological/laboratory settings and likes to work on open-ended, hands-on projects. They will also extremely strong technical skills across a wide variety of disciplines in combination with strong organizational and communication skills. The candidate should be extremely proactive with a curious attitude and able to thrive in the face of ambiguity; an innate systems-level thought process for coordinating a large number of technically varying initiatives is key.
- Work independently in a cross-disciplinary environment to design, plan, and execute laboratory experiments using specialized test equipment
- Perform prototype consumable/fluidic fabrication
- Perform prototype instrument hardware fabrication
- Perform experiments to screen materials, approaches, designs, and processes in an efficient manner to down-select from many to a few best options
- Prepare, handle, and process a wide range of chemical & biological materials from buffers to simulated clinical matrix to blood
- Perform sample preparation and PCR using conventional bench-top methods as well as company systemsEnsure compliance to Quality System requirements
- Work in CAD to design prototype components and/or tools that can be quickly manufactured (3D printed, machined, etc.)
- Perform statistical experimental data analysis
- Facilitate technical problem solving through proposed experimentation and alternate designs/approaches
- Perform lab and office administrative tasks, including lab organization, equipment and materials acquisition/purchase, and experimental reports/presentations
- Maintain organized and complete documentation of activities, and provide regular updates covering progress, problems, and solutions
- Ensure compliance to quality systems requirments
Bachelor's degree in Biomedical Engineering, Bio-Engineering, Molecular Biology, or other related Technical/Life Science discipline. Master’s degree preferred.
A minimum of 2 years of direct work experience in a laboratory/shop setting for technical R&D, product development, and/or innovation projects ideally in the medical, diagnostics, healthcare, and/or consumer health spaces
Broad technical knowledge base across engineering systems, plastics/consumables, biologics, and chemistry
Demonstrated basic biology laboratory skills, including pipetting
Demonstrated basic engineering laboratory skills including CAD (SolidWorks)
Basic statistics knowledge, including proficiency in the use of Excel for data analysis and presentation
Comfortable operating sophisticated computer and instrumentation equipment/hardware
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Innovative, out-of-the-box problem solver capable of overcoming challenging and complex issues in a fast-paced environment
Working knowledge of design of experiments (DOE)
Experience with Minitab
- Experience with Python a plus
- Experience in a design-controlled, quality-systems driven environment including familiarity with FDA and ISO 13485 standards
For more than forty years, Richmar Associates has connected talented job seekers with Silicon Valley businesses from start-ups to Fortune 500. We specialize in the temporary and direct placement services business. Based in the Silicon Valley, Richmar offers staffing solutions that include temporary, temp-to-hire, payroll service, vendor management and direct placement services to clients in the High-Tech Industry.
Richmar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.