A biomedical manufacturing company located in Sunnyvale, CA is seeking a Scientist I to join their Infectious Disease research group. This position is in the Biotechnology R&D group and is primarily a bench level job focusing on real time PCR and RT-PCR assay and product development in an FDA-QSR and ISO9001 compliant organization. The candidate will plan and execute laboratory research, demonstrate appropriate technical proficiency, scientific creativity and collaboration with cross-functional departments. In addition to technical qualifications, the ideal candidate will be highly goal-oriented, organized and be able to thrive in an atmosphere of shifting demands and priorities. The candidate should possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Research and develop molecular diagnostic tests for human viruses or other infectious agents on the company platform.
- Perform analytical studies required for design verification of complex assays prior to validation phase.
- Optimize sample preparation, real-time PCR and RT-PCR assays based on design of experiments and design input requirements.
- Handle blood-base clinical samples and perform microbiology work of BSL-2 organisms, including various bacterial and viral strains.
- Help develop and write verification and validation SOPs and technical reports.
- Maintain detailed experimental records.
- Apply analytical problem-solving skills to reagent and system integration issues to identify critical performance factors.
- Present data & participate in scientific discussions at the weekly Technical Meeting.
- May contribute to scientific literature and conferences.
- Allocate time and resources efficiently, effectively prioritize, and continually seek ways to meet individual, team and corporate goals.
MS with 3+ years of experience, or Ph.D. in Biology (or related discipline), with at least 1-2 years of experience at a molecular diagnostics / pharmaceutical companies, public health laboratories or similar institutions.
Experience working with BSL-2 micro-organisms involved in infectious diseases, tissue cell cultures, and molecular biology techniques including nucleic acid extraction, BLAST, and DNA sequencing.
Experienced in BSL-2(+) viral culture and oligo design will be a plus.
Experienced in elementary statistical programs and analyses including Excel, Minitab, or JMP.
Experienced in RT-PCR product development and familiar with design of experiments methods are highly desirable.
Experienced in interpreting and analyzing large scale experimental data as well as results from clinical trials.
Strong problem-solving/troubleshooting skills that can translate to direct guidance of team members through complex issues.
Proficient with standard Microsoft Office programs.
Excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills.
Ability to work in a Clean Room as well as a BSL-2(+) laboratory environment.
For more than forty years, Richmar Associates has connected talented job seekers with Silicon Valley businesses from start-ups to Fortune 500. We specialize in the temporary and direct placement services business. Based in the Silicon Valley, Richmar offers staffing solutions that include temporary, temp-to-hire, payroll service, vendor management and direct placement services to clients in the High-Tech Industry.
Richmar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.